Derwent and Southill Schools formally joined in a hard federation on the 1st May 2019. A hard federation is where two or more schools agree to work together on a formal basis through a single governing body. However, each school remains as a separate school and retains:
- their own names, individual character, status, ethos and results.
- their own budget.
- their own separate Ofsted inspections.
The benefits of the Federation for both Derwent and Southill are:
- Economies of scale that can be reinvested in the schools.
- Improving the service available to children such as free school meals.
- Staff development through opportunities to lead subjects across two schools as well as reduce workload through shared planning.